The above drawing is a futuristic view of the world as envisioned by Reynolds Metals Co. in the mid-1960s for what the future would hold for the Aluminaut (shown as the dark vessel at top left). Here are some projects it was believed the Aluminaut would initiate:
- Producing electricity through subsurface dams set up over strong ocean currents
- The ability to move large amounts of people safely underwater as opposed to dangerous travel above the surface during hostile weather or attacks
- Vacationing in the ocean in underwater cities
- Modifying the weather and stopping hurricanes by constructing underwater baffles to deflect cooler water upward
- Constructing oil refineries where workers could live and work underwater (as depicted in the above drawing)
Come visit and see the submarine for yourself- the Aluminaut is currently on display at the Science Museum of Virginia.